Kannur Tourist Attractions
Kannur is one of the most important sea coast town of Kerala in India. This ancient port town is situated about 317 Km from Kochi and 92 Km from Kozhikode. Kannur is a town of great historical importance and was the capital of the Kolathiri Rajas for many centuries. It was once a premier port of ancient Kerala. Marco Polo, the great explorer, has referred to Kannur as 'a great Emporia of spice trade'. It came into full political lime light in the 15th century with the arrival of the Portuguese. The St. Angelo's fort is a landmark of Kannur.
St. Angelo's fort:
The fort is a massive triangular structure built on late-rite with a ditch and strong flanking bastions. It was built in 1505, by the first Portuguese Viceroy, Don Francisco De Almeda with the consent of the ruling Kolathiri Raja. The Dutch captured the fort from the Portuguese in 1663 and sold it to Ali Raja of Cannanore in 1772, from whom it was captured by the British in 1790. The British rebuilt the fort and made it their most important military station in Malabar.
This island was formed by the confluence of Tellichery and Anjanakandi rivers, north of Thalassery Town. This island has been of considerable importance to the Commerce in Thalassery in the past.
Ezhimala is situated 55 Km away from Cannanore town at a height of 885 feet with a conspicuous isolated cluster of hills. At the foot of the hills is an old burial chamber and a cave. Father up the hills there is an ancient mosque. Sculptured stone pillars can be seen around here. Ezhimala and its suburbs are noted for some rare medicinal herbs.
Thalassery is located 60 km north of Kozhikode. The English East India Company established its settlement on the Malabar coast here in 1683.. The Thalassery Fort was built in the early 18th century. The German Scholar Dr. Herman Gundert built a church on Netur Hills in 1889.
Near Thalassery, this was a trading centre established by the Frech in the 17th century. It is a very small territory on the west coast between Tellichery and Badagara under the administrative control of the union territory of Pondichery. It is about 9 sq. km. in area and the liquor shops in Mahe are a hang-over of the French rule.
Parassinikadavu is a picturesque place situated on the banks of river, 22 km, away from Cannanore. The Parassinikkadavu madapura Sri Muthapan temple is an important pilgrim centre of Kerala. This is the only temple in Kerala where 'Theyyam' a form of dance is displayed daily. Pooja is held from 5 a.m. to 8 a.m. and from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. during which Theyyam can be seen. Non-Hindus are also allowed to watch the performance inside the temple. The annual festival of the temple falls in November/December. The Kathakali club in the temple will arrange Kathakali performance on request. The duration of the show is 2.5 hrs after 11 pm.
The Parassinikkadavu snake park is near the temple. It has three snake pits and 15 glass cases for the snakes and two big glass houses for King Cobras. The park will be open from 9 am. to 5.30 pm. on all days.
The Govt. Guest House and PWD Rest House are situated at Payyambalam, 3 km. away from the central bus stand.
The nearest airport is at Calicut (Karipur). It is an important railhead of the Southern railway. Kannur is connected by road with the major centres of South India.